We are excited to know that you are interested in leading a Willingdon Life Group! Please read through the roles and responsibilities of leading a Life Group and consider applying to be a Life Group Leader.
- GATHER to experience communion with Jesus and one another.
- GROW to increasingly experience Jesus personally and learn how to carry on His mission.
- GO to carry on Jesus’ mission of making disciples that make disciples.
Life Group Leaders…
- Believe in Jesus Christ, have been baptized, and pass on their faith to others. (Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 2:38; 2 Timothy 2:2)
Since the mission of Willingdon Church is to make disciples of Jesus that make disciples, we want leaders who obey Jesus’ calling to both be disciples and make disciples who make disciples. We make disciples by teaching others to follow Jesus through our words and actions.
- Abide in Jesus through regular time in God’s Word and prayer. (John 15:1-8)
According to Jesus, we can only bear fruit if we abide in Him. If leaders do not prioritize abiding in Jesus, they are working with their own power and teaching their groups to do the same. We want leaders who are serving from an overflowing relationship with Jesus.
- Are active members of Willingdon Church. (Hebrews 10:23-25; 13:17-18)
As a ministry of Willingdon Church, Life Groups follow the mission of Willingdon Church, submit to the leadership of Willingdon Church, agree with Willingdon Church’s Statement of Faith, and are willing to receive support and care from Willingdon Church so we can all faithfully follow Jesus as one body. We want leaders who are united with the church to pursue Jesus’ ministry together.
- Demonstrate a servant’s heart through serving, leading, teaching, or training. (Luke 22:25-27; Philippians 2:2-11)
Leading a Life Group is a significant responsibility requiring character and gifts developed over time. We want leaders who have demonstrated a desire to serve the church well and the skills needed.
- Provide an example of continual spiritual growth. (John 13:14-17; Philippians 3:12-16)
Following Jesus is a lifelong pursuit. We do not expect Life Group Leaders to be perfect. We want leaders who are eager to faithfully grow in Jesus to become like Jesus so they can invite their members to join in the journey together.
- Are equipped in the fundamentals of the faith. (Acts 1:8; Hebrews 5:12-14; John 15:1-15; 1 Timothy 3:8-13)
Life Group Leaders should have a basic understanding of the Gospel and be able to share it. They should also demonstrate the ability to handle God’s Word, practice basic spiritual disciplines, and pursue Christian character.
Life Group Leaders lead in several responsibilities which will be passed on to group members.
- ORGANIZE meetings and activities, such as regular gatherings, outings, and volunteering.
- FACILITATE discussion to guide the group in processing sermons, curriculum, or other topics.
- PRAY for members and seek God’s power to produce spiritual fruit and growth.
- CARE for members by providing a listening ear and responding to the best of your ability by praying, comforting, helping, or finding help.
- IDENTIFY member gifting and entrust responsibilities. For spiritually younger groups, the leader takes on most roles, but the goal is to help members grow and contribute with their God-given giftings.
How to Apply
If you are interested in leading a group, please fill out the application form below. Once you’ve completed this form, please email the application to us via the contact below.
After you submit the form, we will get in touch with next steps. We are so grateful for your interest in serving with us!