Ways to Serve
Some of the services the House of Omeed provides are Food Prep Trainings, English classes, Translation and help with resumes or government paperwork.
They are looking for people who can volunteer their time and/or resources for these projects:
- Food provision program for families in need – Fridays from 9:00 am – 3:00 pm. (flexible) Proficiency in Farsi is not required. Please contact Kiana in advance.
- Preparation for different outreach events throughout the year
- Packaging food hampers, sorting food items, and helping with unloading the truck – Thursdays from 10:30 am – 4:30 pm.
- Repackaging large bags of dried beans, raisins, spices, and different food items into small-size bags. Bags and food items will be provided. – Mondays and Tuesdays from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm Items can also be picked up and repackaged at the volunteer’s home as a group or family activity any day of the week!
- Adopting a refugee family/newcomer – Families and/or individuals from Willingdon will be matched to a refugee family or an individual that is a client of House of Omeed. They will need to commit at least 2 hours per month to spend time with their paired refugee family, engaging in activities such as taking them to a restaurant, a park, Burnaby Village Museum etc. and helping them get connected to the community.
For more information, you can visit their website or contact Kiana by email.