The Marketplace Leaders event is intended to help marketplace leaders integrate their faith and their work. Participates will hear from experienced business leaders who will share how they face business issues as a follower of Jesus. Participants will also have the opportunity to ask specific questions of the presenter.
Guest Speaker: George Folz
George Folz Bio
- East Vancouver born and raised. The middle son with an older sister and younger brother. Always curious, enjoyed building things and solving problems.
- Experienced divorce at 12 and loss of my single Mom at 15, then lived with my brother and sister for a year until Dad stepped back in. In our early 20’s, we three bought a house together.
- College, BCIT Mechanical Engineering, UBC Industrial Education was the formal education.
- Interested in business in my teens (Started a machine/welding shop from home at 17)
- Met Marilyn when I was 20 and was introduced to Jesus, becoming a follower of Him at 21.
- Marilyn and I married at 25 have 3 grown children and 7 grandchildren.
- Left our careers at 30 to spend two years in Papua New Guinea on Mission (Construction and Teaching)
- Work has included many career paths, but I was always drawn back to making things.
- Since 1990 I have been a Partner and now a Consultant with Megatech Engineering Ltd. involved in Large Steel Fabrications. The projects were varied and interesting from large structural ramps (think BC Ferries), Bulk Terminal Conveyors (G3 North Van), Bridges (Lions Gate Bridge Rebuild) Park Equipment (Olympic Village foreshore, photo above) and many industrial processes that had a problem that needed solving with equipment we could build.
- Roles have included:
- Management Team
- Project Management
- Sales and Marketing
- In 2014 I started volunteering with MB Mission, first using Engineering Skills for Mission Build Projects around the world, and later assisting Missionaries to navigate Business as Mission.
- For the last three years I have been a part of the Business Mentor Team for Lighthouse Coffee Myanmar, establishing a Coffee Growing and Processing Enterprise in that country.
- In August 2020, with two partners, we incorporated Lighthouse Coffee Roasters Inc. in Canada to roast and market Specialty Coffee Beans initially from Myanmar. We are focused on redemptive entrepreneurship as we grow this business.
- Just for fun, Marilyn and I bought a farm on one of the Gulf Islands and I have found a love for building soil and seeing things grow as part of Creation Care.
- Mentoring was a big part of my early walk with Jesus, mentoring young people has value for me.
- We love traveling and finding a place and a project with some adventure is life giving.
- For the past two decades I have owned a motorcycle and we have traveled the world on two wheels visiting 5 continents. I sold it a month ago with 180,000 kms on the clock. It was fun!
- Growing in my faith walk with Jesus is a high value. Walking with Him into what He invites me into and finishing well would be wonderful.
April 21, 2021 | 7:00 - 8:15pm