James & Maki Buss
Maki is a Japanese national who became a Christ-follower while living in Canada. She was a deacon in Willingdon Church’s Japanese language ministry and provided simultaneous translation of the weekly sermons for over 15 years before leaving to Japan.
James is a Canadian national whose commitment to Christ was solidified while living in Japan as a young adult. He oversaw Willingdon Church’s parking ministry for 6 years and then helped in the tech team for 10 years before leaving to Japan.
About Our Work So Far
Maki reaches Japanese women through one-on-one and group Bible studies, co-ordinating Ladies retreats and events in her Tokyo-area church, leading the parent’s prayer group in Matthew’s international school, and providing child care during a fellow missionary’s English classes.
James responded to OMF International’s advertised need for a Finance Manager and applied his career experience and professional accounting designation (CPA, CGA) in that role for almost 3 years. Now he leads a returnee Bible study on the West-side of greater Tokyo, assists in OMF’s LINK ministry reaching the next generation for Christ, and is studying the Japanese language to improve his ability to live and serve among the Japanese.
OMF International has been working in Japan for over fifty years. With over one-hundred members, it is the largest mission agency in Japan.
By the grace of God, we aim to see a vibrant church impacting every community in Japan. And to that end we work in partnership with local churches, other mission agencies, and other believers who share our passion to plant churches that are biblically faithful and culturally relevant.
- For financial provision in order that we can continue to serve in Japan
- For effectiveness that we will be a blessing to the OMF missionaries and the church in Japan
- For our son Matthew as he moves through his teen years while we are in Japan, and that his faith will be strengthened
- Please pray for physical stamina as James commutes over 3 hours each day across the Tokyo metropolis and for Maki as she interacts in various Ladies prayer groups and weekly visits to a local orphanage.
- Thank God for providing the needed visa, place to live in Tokyo, and Matthew's schooling in Tokyo.