Willingdon Church is committed to protecting the confidentiality of your personal information, informing you about our privacy policies and practices, and allowing you to see your personal information. This policy explains how and why we collect, use, and disclose your personal information.
Our Need for Personal Information
In order to fulfill our administrative role, we need to access all relevant facts and information that relate to you as part of our church family. This information will necessarily include personal information about those that call our church their home church, who have donated funds, or are actively involved in serving in some capacity.
Collection, Use, Disclosure of Personal Information
Where practical, we endeavour to collect personal information directly from the person to whom the information pertains. When necessary, we may collect personal information from other sources. By attending our church and/or the programs of our church, an individual consents to our necessary collection, use or disclosure of this personal information to properly support and care for them.
The Personal Information Protection Act
The Personal Information Protection Act deems that “an individual has consented to our collection, use or disclosure of personal information about that individual if, at the time the concept is deemed to be given, the purpose would be considered obvious to a reasonable person”. In such circumstances, we will collect, use or disclose personal information without obtaining a written or verbal consent to do so.
The Act also permits us to collect, use or disclose personal information about an individual in some circumstances without the individual’s consent. Those include (but are not limited to) circumstances in which
- The collection, use or disclosure is clearly in the interest of the individual and consent cannot be obtained in a timely way.
- It is reasonable to expect that the collection or use of personal information with the consent of the individual would compromise the availability or accuracy of the information and the collection or use of the information is necessary for an investigation or proceeding
- The personal information is available to the public from a prescribed source
- The collection, use or disclosure of personal information is required or authorized by law.
When we collect, use or disclose personal information, we will make reasonable efforts to ensure that it is accurate and complete.
Security of Personal Information
We recognize our obligations to protect your personal information. We have made arrangements to secure against unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification, disposal or destruction of all personal information.
Your email and other personal information will not be sold, rented or leased to third parties. Non-personal user and traffic data is accessible to our web teams, who work to improve your experiences with our website. Personal information is collected only for ministry purposes.
Any data collected during the giving process is accessible by our financial team for recordkeeping and tax receipting purposes. Willingdon Church does not share donor information with any other parties.
Request for Access to Personal Information
All are welcome to their personal information. If you need to see your personal information, please send a request to our church office. Upon receiving your written request, we will:
- Provide you with a copy of your personal information under our custody or control.
- Inform you about your personal information under our control has been and is being used by us.
- Provide you with the names of individuals and organizations to whom your personal information under our control has been disclosed by us.
We will respond to your request in the time allowed by the Act and will make a reasonable effort to assist you as accurately and completely as reasonably possible.
Contacting or Communicating with Us
In the event you have concerns or disagreements between yourself and Willingdon, you can communicate your concern by contacting our Privacy Officer. The Privacy Officer will then contact you and inform you of the procedure to follow.
4812 Willingdon Avenue
Burnaby, BC V5G 3H6
Contacting or communicating with the Government
Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner for British Columbia
PO Box 9038, Stn. Prov. Govt.
Victoria, BC V8W 9A4